My Day With Dr. Kim
A few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to attend Communicating With Confidence, Credibility, and Influence With Dr. Kimberly Ventus-Darks.
If you’ve never attended a seminar by Dr. Kim, it’s important to note that it’s an Event with a capital E — and not for the faint of heart! Dr. Kim pretty much embodies larger-than-life ... her presence just fills the whole room, and when she's speaking, it's impossible to focus on anything else. The whole room feels connected and energized and swept up in it ... it's powerful stuff.
This was an all-day event, so we covered a lot of ground! But I just want to share two of the statements that Dr. Kim made that hit me hard, in very different ways.
Don’t allow the facts to get in the way of the truth.
That just resonated with me. I'm a facts person. I love facts and statistics and having concrete evidence. But it’s so true that sometimes, facts don't reveal the truth, they hide it. The more I think about that statement, the more power it has for me.
Just because 85 percent of people do something for a reason, doesn’t mean the other 15 percent don’t exist. Just because you “know” something doesn’t mean you have the full story. Facts can be manipulated and data can be wrong. And if you’re too boxed in by “what’s always been” as just being the facts, you’ll never reach out to change it.
Plus, while it’s a fact that the sky is blue, it’s my truth that the sky is beautiful.
The first person to extend his or her hand has the power.
I never, ever thought about that before. And it made me reflect back and I realized that wow, that’s true. When I’m unsure, I wait for the other person to want to shake hands first. When I know that I’m “in charge,” I extend my hand first. And it really made me realize how much extending your hand for a handshake is a sign of confidence. After all, when you do it, you show that you expect to be taken seriously, that you have no doubts that the other person is going to shake your hand. I love it, and it’s something concrete to work on — I want to be the one whose hand is out first.
It was so small, so simple, and so absolutely real. Plus, it’s just something I can start doing!
I had an absolute blast on my day with Dr. Kim — it’s an experience I won’t soon forget.
We're sorry, but the comment box for this article has been closed. However, you may view the past discussion amongst your peers to see what they had to say ...
I've attended one of her seminars also, and she is a breath of fresh air. I loved every moment of it!
I too spent a day with Dr. Kim last year. It's true that it's not for the faint of heart and I almost left after the first 10 minutes, but I'm glad I stuck it out as she left an indelible mark! Anyone who gets this opportunity should grab it!
I had the fortune to attend an "Event with a capital E" with Dr. Kim several years and I still remember and apply what she said.
-We teach people how to treat us
-Don't give people who are of a 2 importance in our lives the power to influence us as a 10 importance.
-More words = less power. Less words = greater power
She had very practical wisdom and a day spent with her is unforgettable.
She is a life changer -- even if your career is in its twilight years. I keep my notes of her day long session with me at all times, and refer to them in times of challenge and triumph. They are a great inspration. I plan to see her again. Thanks Dr. Kim.
About The Women’s Link