Management & Leadership Skills for First-Time Supervisors & Managers (2-Day)
A high-powered training session where you'll spend two intensive days immersed in the critical skills and techniques that'll make all the difference to your success as a leader!
This intensive two-day workshop is a highly interactive workshop designed for new supervisors who want to grow their management skills fast — and get on the fast track to achieving leadership success. Comprehensive leadership training will cover the proven management techniques and powerful strategies you need to become a stronger, more confident and respected leader.
You’ll learn how to handle dozens of key management challenges with ease, including how to establish credibility and authority fast, how to motivate employees to give 110 percent, how to handle attitude problems and rule-breakers, how to curb absenteeism and tardiness, how to give constructive feedback and how to conduct effective performance appraisals.
As a workshop bonus, you’ll receive self-assessment tools, handy checklists, the Leadership Style Analysis and numerous other resources that give you insight into how to build on your supervisory strengths.
Why risk your career by stumbling along, learning management skills by trial and error when you can get up to speed fast on essential management techniques and strategies? The management skills and knowledge you need to succeed are only a two-day workshop away!
Leadership Fundamentals and Issues All New Managers Face
- Crucial differences between being the leader and "being the boss"
- The challenges facing leadership today
- How to acquire a supervisor's mind-set and image
- The emotional requirements of being a supervisor: Have you got what it takes?
- Can you be friendly with your staff and still maintain respect and compliance?
- Tips for avoiding the problems that come from supervising friends and former coworkers
- Most common mistakes new supervisors make and how to avoid them
Developing Your Personal Leadership Strengths
- How to build on the leadership strengths you've identified and shore up your weaknesses
- Why your "people skills" will be the No. 1 driver of your success as a leader
- Understanding how your leadership style can work for or against your employees
- Adopting the "success habits" that effective leaders swear by
- "How-to's" for establishing your credibility as a leader — fast!
- The 7 classic principles of influence ... and how and when to use them to your advantage
- What are the keys to results? Focusing your efforts on that which makes the greatest impact
Building a Highly Motivated, High-Performance Team
- Recognizing the crucial role you play in driving your team's effectiveness
- Keys to making every team member feel valued and important
- Building relationships that enhance cooperation among team members
- How to ignite enthusiasm and gain buy-in for accomplishing goals
- Understanding the basic things that motivate today's workers: You may be surprised
- Creative ideas for keeping your team motivated even if you don't have an extra dime in the budget
- Proven morale-boosters for employees nearing burnout
The Mechanics of the Manager's Job
- Proven tips for recruiting top-notch employees
- Do's and don'ts for effective interviewing
- How to help new employees hit the ground running and succeed on the job
- Techniques for addressing poor performance so that positive change results
- Strategies for curbing absenteeism, tardiness and rule-breaking
- When firing seems imminent: Key legal considerations you must understand
Communication Techniques Every Manager Should Know
- Why developing your communication skills is essential to management success
- Your role in keeping lines of communication open at all times
- Words and phrases that can destroy your credibility and authority — and what to say instead
- The secret to giving crystal clear directions that are understood the first time
- Active listening techniques that ensure you'll hear what's really being said
- Pointers for speaking more powerfully and confidently in meetings
How to Turn Around Difficult Employees and Eliminate Problem Behaviors
- Tips for turning chronic complainers into satisfied employees
- Tools for combating a variety of attitude problems
- The best approach for dealing with argumentative and combative people
- What's your role in settling disagreements between employees?
- "How-to's" for a professional, productive employee confrontation
- Proven techniques for appearing calm and in control when you're feeling anything but
Managing Your Time, Priorities and Projects
- Tips for saving tons of time using e-mail, voice mail and fax
- Prioritizing techniques that save the day when everything on your desk is "urgent"
- Increase your "Planagement Quotient" and watch difficult tasks disappear
- Why failing to delegate is a big, big mistake for managers
- A super time- and effort-saver: Learn how to say "no" in a professional manner
- Guidelines for tracking projects so nothing falls through the cracks
The Leader's Role in Making Change Happen
- Understanding why people often instinctively resist change
- Top reasons why organizational change often fails
- Important considerations to address before introducing any change
- The keys to overcoming employee resistance to change
- How to project confidence that inspires your people during change or transition
- What you must do as a leader when your people flatly refuse to embrace critical changes
Career Mapping: Preparing Yourself for the Next Level
- Fine-tuning your skills: Why continuous learning is crucial to your ongoing success
- What's most important to you? Incorporating core beliefs into your career path
- Traits upper management looks for when deciding who to promote
- Tips for "tooting your own horn" so your accomplishments are recognized
- Understanding how to "play the game" when you need to